Alarm Bells ring (ignore them at your peril!)

I don’t know if anyone has this, but I have an in-built alarm system in my head. When I’m out of an evening, especially if I am drinking, it will ring and warn me that it is time to go home whilst I still can. Most of my firends are used to me just disappearing home. I have once ignored these alarm bells. It was when I was young, free and single. (Yes I was young once). I was living in Kingston and had arranged to meet a friend after work in Camden. We were having a great evening when suddenly at around 10.30pm the alarm bells rang. But I was having a great time. I decided to rebel. Fifteen minutes later they rang again (get home now!) No, I decided to stay and out of sheer bloody-mindedness I left for home at midnight. I stumbled towards the tube station (ironically I was working with heavy drinkers at the time). No problem, off I went on the Northern line. I even managed to get on to the district line. I planned to get off at Putney Bridge and get the bus. Except the tube stopped before then. I would not be foiled in my attempts to get home. I got on a tube to Richmond. I knew where that was. When I alighted I confidently got on a night bus. It was the first time I had ever been on one. All I remember about it was
1. Everyone on it looked very ill
2. It didn’t go to Kingston.
I only realised this when I got off where it terminated – Twickenham. Which wouldn’t have been a problem, had I wanted to go there. Twickenham looked nice in the dark. I was trying to be positive. I could read, sort of. So I decided to follow the road signs and walk to Kingston. It was about 3am. It was dark, cold and there was no one around, so I sang a happy tune as I strode (or rather staggered along). I do not remember much of the journey except for the relief of reaching my front door and the numerous attempts to get my key in the lock. I staggered into the warmth around 5am. It never ceases to amaze me that, that night, I managed to negotiate my way across London, changing tubes, catching buses, but as soon as I got through my front door I was phased by the stairs. I ended up sleeping on the bottom step. And very comfortable it was too, until my flat mate tripped over me and informed me it was 6 am and time to go to work!
I never ignored the alarm again.


~ by envisioningutopia on June 13, 2012.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: